QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Medical Foods Frequently Asked Questions
Chronic disease can change the dietary needs of the body at the cellular level. Common drug therapies do not address the distinct nutritional requirements of chronic conditions, only managing the symptoms of a disease. Medical foods help fill the gaps that drug therapies do not address, by providing the cells of the body with the fuel needed to meet the increased nutritional demands of chronic disease.
Medical foods have been recommended by physicians and dietitians throughout the United States for over a decade to help patients safely manage chronic conditions like pain, inflammation, obesity, sleep and cognitive disorders.
- Clinically Validated Products
- Formulated with Ingredients that are Generally Recognized as Safe
- Uses a Patented Uptake/Absorption Technology
- Addresses Increased Cellular Demands of Chronic Disease
- Manufactured in the United States in a cGMP Facility
Medical foods are specially formulated for the dietary management of a disease that has distinctive nutritional needs that cannot be met by normal diet alone. They have been used by physicians throughout the United States for over a decade to manage pain syndromes, sleep and cognitive disorders.
Medical foods like Theramine, Sentra PM and Sentra AM contain only ingredients that are Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS), and are the subject of a variety of clinical trials to support efficacy and safety.
Unlike dietary supplements, medical foods must be manufactured in a cGMP certified facility and are subject to much tighter FDA regulation and supervision.
Dietary supplements are primarily intended to support the well-being of healthy adults. Whereas medical foods are formulated for the dietary management of disease states. Here are a just few differences:
- Medical foods can make medical claims.
- Medical foods are for a specific disease states and patient population.
- Medical foods require physician supervision.
- Medical foods and dietary supplements have separate FDA regulatory classifications.
Medical foods are not drugs and, therefore, are not subject to the same regulatory requirements that specifically apply to drugs. Unlike drugs, medical foods do not require a perscription and may be purchases directly from retailer, pharmacy or through your provider. However, they are to be administered under the supervision of a physician.
Here are a few things that set our products apart:
- Backed by multiple studies and clinical trials.
- Recommended by physicians for over a decade.
- Over 50 million doses administered with no reported hamful side effects.
- The only products using Targeted Cellular Technology®, our patented micro-nutrient delivery system that aids the absorption of the key ingredients.
Our products can often be purchased at your local pharmacy or through your health care provider. For a detailed list of participating providers, feel free to contact us at: (844) 474-3111. Alternatively, visit our online store at: http://store.medicalfoods.com
"Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food."